IT IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED THAT A QUALIFIED SERVICE TECHNICIAN LIGHT ANY PILOT LIGHT THAT HAS GONE OUT.

 

WHAT IS A PILOT LIGHT?

Many propane appliances may have a pilot light—a small, constantly burning flame inside the appliance. (Appliances without a pilot light often have electronic ignition instead.) If your appliance has a pilot light, it is an important safety feature. The pilot light ignites the main burner when needed.

WHEN A PILOT LIGHT GOES OUT.

A pilot light that repeatedly goes out—or is very difficult to light—may be signaling that there is a problem with the appliance or with your propane system. If this occurs, do not try to fix the problem yourself. Contact a qualified service technician to evaluate the appliance. Accidents and serious injuries can occur when customers attempt to fix a pilot light problem on their own.

IF YOU LIGHT A PILOT LIGHT YOURSELF, you are taking the risk of STARTING a fire or an explosion.

Many serious injuries occur when people attempt to light pilot lights. Proceed with great caution and follow these rules:

  • Carefully follow all of the manufacturer’s instructions and warnings concerning the appliance.
  • If the appliance is in a basement or closed room, thoroughly ventilate the area before lighting the pilot.
  • DO NOT smoke or have any source of ignition (such as flames or spark-producing materials) in the area before lighting the pilot.
  • Be especially alert for the smell of propane. Sniff at floor level before lighting a pilot.
  • IF YOU SMELL GAS, DO NOT LIGHT THE PILOT LIGHT.
  • DO NOT allow any extra or unnecessary people (especially children) to remain in the room or area of the building where you are lighting a pilot.
  • DO NOT try to light pilot lights in any area where other odors may make it difficult for you to detect the smell of a propane leak.
  • DO NOT light the pilot if a musty or damp smell persists. These conditions can mask the smell of propane.
  • DO NOT apply force or use tools on the pilot light or its control. This could cause damage that leads to gas leakage. Use only your hands to operate knobs, switches, or buttons.
  • DO NOT attempt to let air out of gas lines by opening a valve or fitting inside a building or enclosed space. You may release gas and not be able to smell it.
  • DO NOT apply oil to a sticky knob or button on a gas control valve. Oil can cause the control valve mechanism to stick and malfunction.